Monday, May 16, 2011

Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end.

I can't deny it, I needed to write a makeup review blog.  I had to throw out all of my old eyeliners, mascaras, and lashes because of my Lasik and buy all new product, so I've been trying to view these products with fresh eyes, figuratively (and, I guess, literally).  I feel like I've tried so many mascaras on the market, and I always end up going back to the drugstore brands.  I'm perfectly happy buying designer makeup, but I just can't do it if I find an equal or superior product for a significantly cheaper amount.

For instance, I have tried every recommended mascara Sephora (and MAC) associates tell me to try.  I really fell in love with Diorshow for a while.  Until I met Covergirl's LashBlast.  I put one on each eye and asked if anyone noticed the difference.  No one did.  They looked exactly the same.  The one thing I did like about the Diorshow was the scent.  I know that's a little strange for a mascara, but I liked putting it on because it has a unique and interesting scent.  Ultimately, because LashBlast was significantly cheaper, it won out, because the scent of Diorshow wasn't enough to keep me interested when I could save 18 bucks.

Today, I find myself in a similar predicament.  I conveniently forgot my comparisons of the past and went with a blank slate.  I looked up online reviews and reviews of friends and decided to try Covergirl's fiber Lashblast Fusion (supposedly similar but better to the original Lashblast).  I also had a Givenchy mascara I tried that I was unimpressed with and decided to exchange it for Diorshow's Extase mascara.  Both the Covergirl and Diorshow mascaras are intended to volumize and lenghten lashes.  I tried one on each eye today, and I must say, both volumized.  Both lenghtened.  But Diorshow clumped like crazy.  The brush was also really strange and it was messy, deposting mascara onto my top eyelid.  It held a curl REALLY well, though.  The Covergirl Lashblast Fusion both lengthened and volumized, but it also separated really well.  It didn't hold a curl as well, but still did a decent job.  And part of me wonders if I just did a better job curling the lashes with the Diorshow on them.  Either way, the difference in curl was minimal.  The difference that did make my decision was the ridiculous clumping and messiness of the Diorshow Extase.   Yikes.  No thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment