Monday, May 9, 2011

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Weather, weather, weather.  It's pretty ridiculous this year.  The southwest has almost doubled it's number of tornadoes for one year, and we're only 5 months in, and haven't even hit tornado season.  The midwest has seen record breaking numbers in snowfall/blizzards, not to mention our winter lasted well over 7 months.  (When I say "winter",  I don't mean the time frame listed on your calendars.  I mean how long the snow and freezing temperatures lasted.  The calendar seasonal dates mean nothing to those of us who live in four season climates.)  Oh, and there's all that Japan business.  Ridiculous.  I have been complaining so much about this winter, and forgetting the other places that have seen epic weather patterns this year as well.  I've been daydreaming and researching other areas to live in for the past few days.  Mostly because it has been freezing temperatures (in the 30's or below - that's fahrenheit) for so long, and we will get one really nice day in the 60's, then it will go back to being ugly weather again.  I'm tired of it. We're going to hit 80 degrees tomorrow, but who cares when it's going to rain and no one can enjoy it?  Only in Minnesota will it be 32 degrees one day, and then 2 weeks later, it will be 80 degrees.  Like I said before, ridiculous.

So, like I mentioned, I've been daydreaming about moving.  I've been mainly debating on the two obvious contenders: Los Angeles and New York City.  I say "obvious" because it's two of the most common cities for people to move to...not because they're the obvious choices for everyone.  The weather isn't a whole lot better in NYC, I realize.  But it's better, and NYC is so much more interesting.  Los Angeles, well, it's a much better climate and Tyler could potentially make a lot more money there as a hairstylist.

I have huge reservations about both of them.  And to be honest, I'd rather move to NYC.  But I have my doubts I could afford it, and like to use my money for things that are not only rent.  I'm also not sure I want to give up the dream of one day owning a home.  The small spaces scare me, too.  I do like to spend time at home, and that may not be feasible if my home is tiny.  But at least NYC is incredibly dog friendly, so Winston could come with.  I have dreamt for a long time of living in NYC, and it would be a lot of fun, I'm sure.  I wish I had a better understanding of what my life would look like at our current salary (I don't want to assume I'll make more living in NYC, but I will make the assumption I will at least make the same.)

A lot of people had suggested other cities, but none really piqued my interest, as I'd prefer to live in a larger city.

And to be honest, if we just stopped having such ridiculous winters, I'd just want to stay here and just keep traveling to other places.

In other news, Tyler and I have been fostering a dog.  She is a Japanese Chin, and such a sweetheart.  Her name is Panda:

Photobucket


She was quite startled when I was taking this picture because she saw her image moving on the computer (I took it with photobooth).  It was pretty cute.

As I said, she is a very sweet little girl.  She was a puppy mill rescue, and I gather she was used to breed.  It's pretty sad, and I'm glad to be able to give her a temporary home until she finds her permanent one.  But I must say, it is not the easiest endeavor I've taken on.  It has been very difficult to get her to potty outside, for instance.  The first day, I really had no problems, so I didn't anticipate any issues, but she really hasn't done a good job since the first day.  We're trying to promote good potty training habits, but sometimes it takes upwards of an hour to get her to go outside, and I definitely don't give myself an hour to take the dogs out when I have to work at 8am.  So...yeah, it's been challenging.  She has a special place in my heart, though, and I hope to get her fully trained soon.  She's VERY weary of people, she's nice, but not trusting.  I think once I can get her to trust me more, it might be easier to train her.  It's not an easy challenge, but it's pretty rewarding.  It's also much easier than when I first got Winston.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you could always move to Houston. 4th largest city in the country. Relatively cheap cost of living. We don't get snow except every few years and even then it doesn't stick. But we do have ridiculously hot summers, and really don't have four full seasons. And we're currently in severe drought with wildfires. But it's not all bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY hot summers. haha Tyler's dad lives in Dallas-Forth Worth, too, but I just don't know if I can do Texas...

    ReplyDelete